Bipolar Thoughts

I’m Home

Well, I made it home from the hospital on Saturday and today I completed my second ECT session.

The hospital was very nice, happy to be in the Beaumont system. They took great care of me and I met a lot of great people. I’m not one who gets a lot out of a hospital setting. Group therapy and painting ceramics isn’t my cup of tea. But I try to get as much out of it as I can.

It helped during the hospitalization to know that I was there for a purpose. I was there to get “worked up” (as the attending doctor called it) for ECT. And as soon as I had the ECT and it was a success I was free to go home to my life.

Friday I had the first ECT and it was kind of a crazy experience. I have never been put under before and that is out of this world. When they injected me, my arm caught on fire and then I was opening my eyes ten minutes later with the worst headache of my life.

Despite the headache, the results were immediate and fantastic. The depression I was in was lifted and my anxiety melted away. I have felt great, if not really sleepy, ever since. After my second ECT this morning I don’t feel as good but I am still depression free, and the headache is much better.

My doctor told me that the ECT treatment will most likely be finished this Friday, two weeks short of normal length. He tells me that the reasoning is two fold. First, I responded so well to the first treatment. Second, since this therapy is usually reserved for uni-polar depression and not bipolar depression he is worried that over-working me on the ECT will cause me to go manic in the worst way. He said we will re-evaluate at the end of the week. I am not that worried about it, and would prefer to get the full benefit of full treatment, but I know what the doctor says is the truth.

My next treatment is on Wednesday and I have an appointment with my regular shrink tomorrow afternoon so hopefully everyone is in agreement with how everything is going. I’m looking forward to putting this behind me and getting back to work.